Tuesday 21st November 2017coa5 blue Bro Allan Thomas Glen was reinstalled into the Chair as Right Worshipful Master in front of a large number of brethren from within and outwith the province of Renfrewshire West in a busy Town Hall Saloon. The deputation of visiting brethren was led, as always, by the RWM of Lodge Doric Kilwinning No 68. In this case the man at the head was Bro Alexander Bloomfield Wilson RWM.

D71 3269A native of Lanarkshire, Bro Glen moved to Boston to study at the prestigious Berklee College of Music after graduating from the University of Strathclyde. An accomplished and highly sought-after saxophonist, Bro Glen has toured extensively in Europe and America working with many different ensembles and artists.

Bro Glen is currently a member of the music faculty at Edinburgh College, teaching composition, orchestration and film scoring.

At the Harmony in the main Town Hall, our top table guests were piped in by our newly installed Lodge Piper Bro Andrew Muir, thereafter a large number of brethren enjoyed a delicious supper, expertly prepared and served by our President of Stewards Bro Tony Buckley and his staff from ICE Scotland.




The usual Loyal and Masonic Toasts were observed. Bro Allan T. Glen RWM toasted Her Majesty the Queen. His Toasts to The Grand Lodge of Scotland and The Provincial Grand Lodge of Renfrewshire West were D71 3318replied to by Bro Robin McIntyre Right Worshipful Provincial Grand Master Elect.

Past Master Bro Robert J. Bain, himself a former regular soldier, delivered a heartfelt toast to Her Majesty’s Armed Forces.

As is the custom in No XII, Inverclyde Council was represented at the Installation Dinner and Harmony. On this occasion, Provost Martin Brennan addressed the assembled brethren and spoke of the long and close connection between No XII and the town of Greenock and the Lodge’s historic right to meet in the D71 3329Saloon of the Town Hall. This dates back to April 1765, when an agreement was made with the magistrates and council of the Burgh of Greenock that by contributing financial assistance to the project (equivalent to over £2 million today) the Lodge would hold a share in the property, and would thereafter secure the right in perpetuity to conduct its meetings and business in the new Town House and its replacement, the current Town Hall. The first meeting in the new venue was on 10th September 1766, and but for a short space between 1858 and 1865 while the current Town Hall was being built, all meetings were, and still are, held in the Municipal Buildings.

Provost Brennan concluded as he extended his good wishes to the new RWM and Lodge for the forthcoming session.



D71 3328


The Right Worshipful Master, Bro Glen toasted the Installing Masters and the reply given Principal Installing Master Bro. Iain White PM.

Bro J. Robert Crossan WSW toasted the Visiting Brethren and, as is traditional in No XII, the reply was given by Bro Alexander Bloomfield Wilson RWM of Lodge Doric Kilwinning No 68.

The artistes were toasted by Bro Brian McFadyen WJW.

Musical contributions from Cheryl Forbes and her accompanist husband Gordon Cree were very much enjoyed by the company.

The extremely happy evening finished with the singing of Auld Lang Syne and three hearty cheers!





We use cookies to improve our website and your experience when using it. Cookies used for the essential operation of the site have already been set. To find out more about the cookies we use and how to delete them, see our Privacy Policy in Terms & Conditions and Cookie Statement.

I accept cookies from this site